- Empowering young children to read and learn through books
- Interacting with young children
- Helping Children to build a future
- Encouraging them to excel
- Sharing your love for reading
- Meeting new people and making friends
08:30 - 12:30:
Spend some one-on-one time with the children in the literacy programme
- Assist with reading, spelling and pronunciation
- Assist with word games
- Assist children with key problems in regards to reading
- Create conversation to encourage language development
- Listen and support
13:30 - 16:00:
This is your chance to shine and bring your own individual skills to the table
- Take initiative and develop an after school activity that is within your area of personal interest but also that would be fun for the children.
- Anything goes - from teaching children to playing chess to drama classes.
- Part of your project amount goes towards resources for the afternoon activities you initiate (within reason and depending on the activity)
This project is closed during the South African school holidays.
23 June - 16 July
29 September - 8 October
18 December - 8 January 2019
15 March - 2 April 2019
14 June - 9 July 2019
20 September - 1 October 2019
6 December - 2 January 2020
However, if there are holiday camps running, there will be work during the school holiday periods. Just contact your travel advisor who can check this for you.
- Airport transfers
- Cape Town Orientation Package: 3 nights' accommodation, orientation that covers everything the volunteers need to know about staying in South Africa (from social skills to transport and safety), two meals per day, bus trip into town, lunch (on the Friday), walking tour of the city, a train ride back to the accommodation and day trip (on the Saturday)
- All paperwork, placement and liaising with your volunteer program
- Appointed supervisor for the duration of program
- Two meals a day (breakfast and dinner)
- Donation per month to the volunteer project to assist in their funding
- A South African SIM card that works on a pay-as-you-go top up system
- Monthly socials for volunteers to get together and meet other volunteers (cost depends on the social)
- Certificate & report on volunteer`s program should this be required for studies or other purposes
- FREE 2-hour surf lesson
- Minimum age of 18
- Police clearance required
- From intermediate to advanced level of competency in English
- Volunteer application form with your reason for choosing this project
- Any skill is welcome
- Please keep in mind that you will be working with children between the ages of 7 to 9 years old.
- Easy to medium physical work
- Large emotional investment
The work itself is not dangerous. Generally, HIV/AIDS is extremely prevalent in South Africa, so it is your personal responsibility to take care with regards to health and safety, as well as sexual relationships.
Volunteers need to be flexible and keep an open mind concerning their placements as situations can arise beyond our control which could require you to be placed at a different project than the one you have initially chosen. We will of course always do our utmost to fulfill your initial wishes but do remember that where you are going is quite different from where you are coming and as such one should be prepared for things not always going according to plan.
Volunteering and intercultural travel share a common trait: the more you put into it, the more you get out of it. This program is designed for proactive individuals and groups that are prepared to adapt to the local environment and its current needs. Naturally, the scheduling and activities of our program are subject to change. Alterations in activities are mainly due to changes in local conditions, which we believe is part of what makes overseas programs the interesting adventure and incredible learning experience that they are.
Our projects range from 1 week up to approx. 30 weeks. Projects have a specified minimum stay, then it’s up to you how long you can commit. In our experience the longer you stay the more you will gain, as your understanding of the project broadens and you take on more responsibilities. Every volunteer will be given a certificate of appreciation at the end of their stay as a symbol of volunteering stay.